The Workstation: Keyboard

Another episode of The Workstation!

Today I'll talk about that one thing you get your hands on the most when your in front of the computer. The keyboard of course! Now if you think they're all the same and it's just a piece of hardware, you couldn't be more wrong. Or you just don't spend that much time working on a computer. When you log in hours upon hours of typing time, you will feel the difference in quality between the keyboards you will come across. Again, what I use isn't that fancy but I've had a $10 keyboard and I've had a $100 keyboard. There is DEFINITELY a difference.


Cheap generic general use keyboard vs. Razer Chroma Ornata keyboard
(Yes, I know it's an extremely lopsided comparison but it'll help me make my point.)

The first thing I notice when I try a keyboard is how well the keys respond to how I type:

$10 keyboard: The keys are stiff an feels like I need to jam them to even get a response.  I can't really type as fast as I want to as I have to, more often than not, press certain keys twice.

$100 keyboard: The keyboard has mechanical membrane combo type keys. Typing quickly is smooth and if I dare say...satisfying! It still has that soft touch while still giving the reassuring click. Kind of like a nice sports car with a fine throttle response is how I would describe the kind of response you get from hitting the keys. From press to release, it is as if you are one with the keyboard.

Second, I examine the build. I look to see if it can last and be comfortable for period of time:

$10 keyboard: The design is your run of the mill rectangular shape. This one is gray in color. Feels lights but not in a good way. I feel as if the keys will sooner than later, fall out at the most inconvenient times.

$100 keyboard: Also rectangular. Black in color although that can be spruced up with the l.e.d. backlighting. The keys themselves are slightly grooved compared to the cheap keyboard which are almost flat. Underneath the keyboard you can flip open some lift tabs if your hands fancy that. A big bonus, for me at least,  is the wrist pad. For this keyboard it can be magnetically attached.

Lastly, I'll see if the keyboard has any bells and whistles, figuratively. Unless, there is such a keyboard...

$10 keyboard: Standard is as standard does. It just has enough keys and symbols to type up that final report you'll wait till the last minute to do.

$100 keyboard: It's a gaming keyboard. Has extra buttons for media functions. This type of keyboard in particular is designed to help gamers so it has a chroma feature. Certain keys light up according to customization and the game being played. Honestly, I couldn't care for this feature as I had bought this keyboard for the quality and response. I do appreciate a nice glowing backlight though.

The two keyboards were strictly for comparison and magnifying the point I as trying to get across. You don't need to drop big bucks to get a good keyboard. There are plenty that would be in the range of $30 - $50. Some even come as a combo with a decent comfortable mouse.

There are all kinds of keyboards out there. If you plan on being in front of a computer typing away, it would behoove you to look into one that will last. Keep in mind that it's not only the keyboard that's getting worked; your hands and wrists in the long run are affected. I'll try to cover ergonomics while working at a computer once I've covered the other peripherals.


Here's what I am currently using with my PC.
source: source: https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards















Here's what  use when working with the laptop at home.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-keyboard-k350


















Here's another view of the K350.

I need to work on my picture taking skills. But, you can slightly make out the wave layout. The keys slightly crest up the very middle letting you fingers rest in neutral form.








Comments

  1. Hi Paul! Very informative post. Is the Logitech K350 an ergonomic keyboard? It looks like one in the picture. I was looking for one I just don't have the time to shop. I don't want to purchase online because I want to know how it feels like to use it. So you use it with a laptop? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the K350 does have ergonomic features to it. The design of the key layout itself is actually in a wave so that your hand and fingers are placed in such a way to help reduce strain. Although rigid, the wrist rest that comes attached to it, is slightly padded to help with the pressure in those areas. Something worth mentioning as well is that it came with a mouse as a combo and they are wireless.

      Check back above, I'll post a pic that will help see the wave design i'm talking about.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I can see the wave layout. I will check that out in stores or something similar. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I have always been curious about how many times I have actually typed a symbol on my keyboard. I'm sure you probably are just like me and use your computer at least once a day. The amount would probably be something ridiculous and I'd think to myself, "I really use this thing that much?" If only I knew because I'm certain that would make me want to purchase a better keyboard. I too like the led backlighting! Pretty rad if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you're mentioning here caught my interest, so I did a little bit of quick research. Looks like you can actually download applications that act as a keyboard heat map (essentially, key logger type) counting every click on every single key. I also came across an article showing a mouse click to screen area tracker as well.

      Membrane keyboards nowadays are usually rated around 20 to 30 million clicks per key. Mechanical keyboards are supposedly rated at 50 to 80 million clicks. Now, with that huge number, you as a consumer should expect a keyboard to last almost a decade if taken care of and used properly. As for me, I'm sure my keyboard is more likely to meet it's demise by coffee spill before I even comes close to wearing out any keys.

      Delete
  3. Good topic. Many people underestimate how important the non-computer hardware is to programming.

    Before this semester started I finally got a keyboard that I like and is backlit which makes coding at night a lot easier. I also got a better chair and mouse.

    The difference in comfort is amazing. I wish I had known to take time to consider this stuff earlier, it would have saved me some unnecessary pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info on vital piece of hardware that is probably the most used input device for the computer!! and added value with where to get great rated products

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Flickr

What is OOP