Self Teach: A couple helpful MOOCs

I have previously mentioned that one of the ways to become to a software engineer is through self teaching. We truly do live in the information technology age. You can find all things software related whether it be a single article explaining how to create your first 'hello world' app to a well structured learn-at your-pace online course.

A while back when I first caught the bug to start learning development, I ran into a few websites that, as a beginner, proved to be very useful.


www.freecodecamp.org







freeCodeCamp is a free massive open online course, or MOOC. The focus of the course is front end development. Meaning, the content you will be learning is geared towards those wanting to get into web development. You will learn the trifecta: HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript.

NOTE: Yes this is different from learning back end work using languages like C++, Java, Python, etc.
The takeaway is that you still get practice typing out code and getting a visual result.


www.codeacademy.com







CodeAcademy offers lessons in a wider variety of computer languages. An upgraded version of their service is offered through a monthly subscription. While the free basic lessons give you enough to understand, the upgraded portion will include projects to implement and further your understanding.

Comments

  1. i used to use CodeAcademy it was so helpful! during my cit 130 intro to java. anytime I didn't understand my homework assignment I would hop on CodeAcademy. its a lifesaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used it many times for homework and it was really help me a lot going my homework and understand how i used for java script.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Flickr

The Workstation: Keyboard

What is OOP