Choosing A Path




It was a line of jargon I could not understand. A few words of English mixed in with symbols, typed in some kind of structured writing. An electronic form of poetry in an alien language I thought. With a few inputs into a black screen they call the command prompt, man and machine converse. My friend, a programmer since high school and now working with embedded code for a large tech company, showed me the wonder that is programming. I didn't say so, but it piqued my interest begging the question: how does it work?

Witnessing some simple code, that crunched numbers and asked the computer to open and close it's CD drive, pulled at me. I never really cared to learn before, but now that I have chosen to learn and make a career out of it, I will never look back. The world of computer science is as astonishing as it is complex.

Before I decided to take the dive into learning the field, I dove into the treasure trove of information that is known as the Internet. I just wanted to know the basics and found some info that anyone taking an introduction class into computer science will know. I went on popular message boards and forums and read about people taking the same journey, for personal enrichment, career change, or in the attempt to create the next big tech company. I found many free online courses and video tutorials. The resources available are akin to an endless delicious Las Vegas style buffet.

FIRST, what is your reason. This can determine how far you will go. Think of your will to learn as a fuel tank and your passionate interest is the fuel. If you don't really care for the subject, you'll have a hard time going far and maybe realize you just wanted to know the minimum. But if, let's say, you wanted to solve a problem that could help out humanity, you're going to need all that passion.

THEN, choose your path. I'm going mention three pathways that you will commonly hear about. One will be the traditional path. Go back to school. As I have mentioned before, this is what I did because I felt this was the best way for me to absorb knowledge. The structure and pressure of college helps keep me on track. An advantage I saw in this was being exposed to other subjects within the field. Being exposed to beginner classes in web dev, data management, and graphic design actually enforced my interest in software programming. And then, being exposed to a few programming languages  Another path is attending a coding bootcamp. Literally, a place where you are just drilled nonstop day and night, with a stack of technology of your choice. Usually, you can choose to take a backend course that focuses on server side technology (software programming) or you can go frontend (web dev/design). I approached a bootcamp here in Las Vegas before I even took a trip to the registrar at school. I just wanted to see what the hype was all about. If you do a bit of research you will see all the rave reviews and how many students come out knowing enough to land jobs in just about every tech hub in the country, or so the reviews say. All that being said, you could just choose to make it on your own. Find intro to advanced level tutorials online and structure them in a way that will work for you. Many have gone down this path and documented their learning processes through blogs and podcasts.

FINALLY, just do it. Don't wait. Don't make excuses. Time waits for no one and neither will the progression of all that is technology.








Comments

  1. A very well written post Paul. You might even want to consider a degree in journalism because I was very intrigued! I think you make good points and show the readers a few paths they could take with programming. Which boot camp did you visit here in Vegas? Great work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! In fact I used to consider getting into journalism, mostly because I feel I can be very chatty when it comes to typing things out. I'm actually pretty happy I have finally started to blog.

      As for that bootcamp, the name of it was The Iron Yard. It was located downtown on Charleston and Third St. It went out of commission a couple years back and unfortunately I do not know of any other coding bootcamps out here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Flickr

The Workstation: Keyboard

What is OOP